Vaccines and Apologetics

There was a fascinating study conducted that examined how much we cling to lies in the face of truth. The focus was on myths about vaccines. The study found that when told the truth about side effects, we stick to misconceptions.

Researchers tested whether people "could be persuaded to change their incorrect beliefs that certain vaccines cause autism or have lesser but still harmful side effects on children."

Researchers surveyed 120 university students from Scotland and Italy about their beliefs on vaccine side effects. Then they exposed the students to one of three sets of information regarding vaccines:

  • a worksheet that discussed myths versus facts;
  • a chart comparing the actual effects of diseases with the actual side effects of vaccines and their prevalence;
  • photos of unvaccinated children with the diseases.

(A fourth set of students, a control group, received medical fact sheets unrelated to vaccines.)

Amazingly, the test subjects stuck to their opinions even after being shown facts about the matter. Click here to continue reading this post and to view the blog archive.

Daily Headline News

Gen Z, fidget spinners, and sweetheart deals: an Oxford Dictionaries update

Take some time off from creating a face swap of you and your puggle. Don't worry: we'll try to be breviloquent, though feel free to give your deep dive in the comments. (Oxford Dictionaries)

more...

20% of Americans are on the Threshold of Religion

Current estimates identify about 20% of Americans as religious nones, with the remaining 80% having some religious affiliation. (Wright, Christianity Today)

more...

'I did earn my name'

Research finds young women often play central roles in gangs. One teenager reveals how the possibility of power drew her in. (Yousef, WBEZ Chicago)

more...

Women Opioid Addicts Fear Rape But Also Fear Reporting It

In Cambridge, Mass., a woman named Kristin sits down on a stone bench to talk about a common but rarely discussed injury that's starting to grow along with the opioid epidemic: rape. (Bebinger, NPR)

more...

And It Was Good

One of the bestselling non-fiction books on Amazon over the past year wasn't on marriage or management, finances or fitness. It was on... astrophysics. As in, "What is the nature of space and time? Where do we fit within the universe? How does the universe fit within us?" We are interested in cosmic headlines: from the Big Bang to black holes, from quarks to quantum mechanics, and from the search for planets to the search for life in the universe. When you delve into such things, does it point away from God, or to Him? James Emery White explores all of this in the series, "Astrophysics...for people who are open to God."

Click here to see this product and more.